14 July 2018

My Zen Mode


This post is being written for INDISPIRE Edition 230


Most of us go through life looking after home and hearth without spending any quality time with ourselves.I think it is very important to sometimes shut everything off from our lives and go into 'Me' mode. Switch off the WiFi, shut the door, lie down alone, close your eyes and reflect. The lucky ones can even take a vacation alone. Silence can be a good companion.
Being with myself and contemplating about life is my favourite hobby. Some people may say I am lazy but I think being lazy is underrated. Being lazy has its advantages. You are at peace with yourself and the world.

Sunset over the river Brahmaputra

This summer I decided to skip the usual touristy stuff. I packed my bags and booked my tickets to Guwahati, the town where I was born. I needed to spend time with my octogenarian parents. I was going to be with them for a month and do nothing except eat, sleep and stare.

Monsoon clouds threaten to disrupt my morning walk

My parents wake up at dawn. They walk 365 days a year, come hail or sunshine. Now since I had decided I was going to spend time with them and participate in their daily routine I too had to wake up at 4 am. It seemed impossible at the start but was wonderful when I got used to it. The view of the morning mist rising across the Brahmaputra and Umananda (the smallest river island in the world) sitting daintily in midstream was worth waking up to.

Umananda 

The flat in which my parents live has a balcony overlooking the ancient Ugratara temple and the Navgraha hills. While I am not at all a religious person, I sat staring at this beautiful scenery for hours. The green cover of trees housed many a heron and egret birds and watching the horizon was therapeutic for my soul.


The View From The Balcony

The best part was eating my mother's delicious fish and rice (Masor Tenga) and the post lunch siesta that extended to dusk. I did absolutely nothing for a whole month. No social visits, no shopping, no WiFi and no TV. It was as if I had reached my nirvana. I returned to the world rejuvenated and feeling like the Buddha.





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
;